What makes an online casino Canadian friendly?
For Canadian gamblers, where the casino is located has no impact on whether they are friendly to Canucks. Being global companies, the casinos often focus on specific markets and, even though they are good casinos, may not be the best place for Canadians to deposit their money. The problems start for Canadian players when they fail to follow this simple checklist. Make sure you can tick all the boxes here before you dive in online:
- Does the site provide full information in English and French throughout their site and for all their games?
- Does the site provide 24/7 customer support in French and English (make sure they are open in your time zone!)
- Does the site accept Canadian dollars?
- Does the site use payment systems that provide an incentive to Canadian depositors like using Interac Online?
Top Canadian Payment Methods using CAD
What you need to know before you deposit
You could just plunge right in but for the more cautious out there you will want to: check off the essentials, try before you buy and be aware of the better deals before you scratch, spin or roll. We have five top tips for you to make sure your next shot at a casino jackpot is thoroughly enjoyable.
- Make a decision! - Are you looking to just play slots? Roulette? Instant win games? A bit of everything? When you start your hunt for the perfect online casino it’s better that you make this decision first. Not only because you can look at the variety of games offered at your potential gaming sites, but there may be welcome bonuses that suit your preferred game choices better (for more info on welcome bonuses look below.)
- Check out that they are licensed! - They must have a gaming license to operate in the jurisdiction where they are registered.
- Security - Make sure that the website has either a https url (the “s” at the end is for security) or states that they are using a security socket layer. Do this before you put any details on line, make sure this is the case. Additionally, if the Customer service is asking for your details via email – do not send them the front and back of your credit card without blacking out some of the details, the emails cannot be secured, regardless of what the customer service is claiming.
- Welcome offers - choose a welcome offer that not only suits your playing style but has decent wagering requirements. If the casino offers a no-deposit bonus, even better. Take that and try before you buy.
- Read reviews - if you do choose one of the casinos that we recommend, read the online casino reviews and make sure it’s a good fit for you.
- Know How to Deposit - Make sure the online casino takes your banking method of choice. We go to great lengths to verify which payment methods are accepted. We will try and give you the most accurate information, like that there are no Canadian brands that accept PayPal.
Top slots, free slot games and progressive jackpots
There are great slots games available at every casino and we want to focus in on a select number of games with great reputations for massive jackpots like our Mega Moolah review for Canada. With winning graphics and audio to get you in the mood to play, these top slots will put you in a playful mood. Check out our slots reviews to get all the info and play some games for free!
Tips and game guides for individual games
Top Online is here to fill your head with plenty of tips and tricks about casino games. From online blackjack to online craps, it’s always good to take a little advice from expert players who can teach you everything you need to know about the game itself and get you in the right frame of mind to take on the house and go for a big win.
Live dealer casinos
What could be better than getting the real casino experience from the comfort of your own home? Experience playing with live dealers and with other players from around the world. Chat with the dealers and get live excitement at the best live dealer casinos on the net.
Is it legal for Canadians to play online?
For an online Casino to be legal for Canadians to place bets at, the current legislative regulation states that they have to be based outside of Canada. For land-based casinos there is legal provincial control within the Canadian borders. Most online casinos available in Canada are based in Gibraltar, the Isle of Man, and Cyprus, where online gambling regulations are more relaxed. In fact, many of the bigger casinos have staff in several locations across the globe.
How can I trust an online casino?
To make sure you are safe online take the time to educate yourself about online safety. Cyber criminals are out there and they are trying really hard to dig into your personal data and it isn’t just to check out your Facebook profile. Once cyber thieves have your personal data they can steal from your bank accounts, make purchases in your name online. This is one small part of cyber-identity theft and it’s a global issue. Follow this trusted advice to avoid being scammed by casinos.
Trusting an online casino you deposited at requires you to answer the following questions:
- Can the casino secure your personal data? Online Casinos use encrypted technology to ensure your personal data and banking details are completely secure. Look out for the https and ssl (security socket layer) as a starting point for signs of a secure website.
- Have the casinos been independently tested and approved? To be at the top of your game, you need to understand a small amount about how online casinos actually work. They use a RNG (random number generator) to produce random results every time you click or swipe to start your game.
- Can the RNG be rigged? Yes, the random number generator can be by the casino itself or by players if they have prior and highly knowledge about the algorithm used and the starting numbers in the RNG. However, it’s really hard to do this. We make sure that all our recommended casinos are independently audited by eCOGRA, IGL or TST. Players can access information on the fairness of each site’s RNGs and feel secure that games are tested and the casino has a good reputation for making payouts.
- Have we recommended them? Well, nothing is guaranteed but you can do your due diligence to make sure that you and your money is protected. Be assured that when you play at any of our recommended casinos that they are not only certified in the locations that they operate within but that their payment methods are also safeguarded. Our choices use an extremely high level of cyber technology to ensure your banking transactions and information is 100% safe from hackers and other online criminals.
Where to go to get the fastest payouts?
All our recommended casinos have faster payouts than the majority of the casinos available online. This is because they have a huge selection of trustworthy deposit and withdrawal methods and they know the importance of keeping their clientele happy.
How to take advantage of Welcome Bonuses
OK, if you know what a Welcome Bonus is, you have probably played at a casino before, but for those of you who are new to the lingo, Welcome Bonuses are a complimentary gift from the house to new players.
To qualify as a new player, you usually have to make a minimum first deposit, this in turn will give you a bonus on that deposit usually worked out as a percentage on top.
You have deposited $20 and you gain a welcome bonus of 100% which means your player account would read $40. This is the most basic welcome bonus, and when you take that bonus (sometimes with a bonus code you tap in when you make a deposit) you will have to “play-through” your money several times (usually from 30-50 times) before you can withdraw any winnings. This is called the wagering requirements.
Welcome bonuses come in all shapes and sizes and the one described above is really the most obvious. There are plenty of variations of welcome bonuses, such as a percentage bonus plus a number of free spins on selected slots 50% & 20 free spins or a staggered welcome bonus where you receive several bonuses over several deposits.
To get the most out of your welcome bonus, we recommend taking staggered welcome bonuses, this way you get to have a huge surplus of games spread out over several deposits – watch out for the wagering conditions and make sure that you will be able to cash out
Best Online Casinos in Canada
It it legal to play at an online casino in Canada?
Yes it is legal to gamble at an online casino as long as the casino has no physical presence in Canada.
Why are some slot games not available to Canadians?
Some software providers have ties with provincial casinos and thus have physical presence in the country. Due to this association, their casino games would possibly be illegal and are not provided to Canadians. On every one of our Software provider reviews we tell you straight up if their games are available in Canada.
Why do I need information from a Canadian specific resource?
Most reputable online casinos only operate in a limited set of geographies and cater specifically to those markets. Facets of the casinos that are country specific include payment methods, currencies, casino games offered, customer support information, welcome bonuses, free spins offers and whether or not you can even register. All of these will be different depending on where in the world you are located and thus the experience can differ dramatically. We also strive to give the most accurate information possible including all the deposit methods available to a real Canadian signing up to deposit in CAD. A casino review resource that tries to be everything to everyone loses this focus and accuracy and as Canadians we hope that we deliver information that is most pertinent to you.
How do I register to an online casino?
The registration process usually involves three easy steps:
- Enter your email address, pick a user name and password.
- Enter you contact information, address, phone number and choose your currency (CAD).
- Generally you will need to confirm your signup via an email confirmation or, rarely, a text message code.
Can I play at an online casino with Canadian Dollars?
You can absolutely play at an online casino in CAD. In fact, we require it from all the casinos we review. Losing 3% or more to currency conversion fees is not cool.
How do I know if a casino is safe and not a scam?
There is some due diligence you need to do before trusting anything online, let alone a casino. We go to great lengths to ensure the casinos we recommend are legit. We have absolutely nothing to gain and your trust to lose if we ever recommend an unethical casino. Things we check for include verifying licensing, talking with customer support and checking out reviews from first party sources that have experience with the casino. We also sign up to each casino and go through the deposit process to ensure it is secure and accurate.
How do I deposit in an online casino?
To deposit at an online casino you will need to head to their Deposit or Cashier screen. The button will usually be located in the top right of your screen. Choose your deposit method and follow the easy to follow instructions. The key will be to choose a casino that has a payment method that you have access to. Check our reviews to see which payment methods are available at each casino and our banking pages to see which method is right for you.
How do I withdraw winnings from an online casino?
Withdrawing winnings from a casino involves two steps. First you need to ensure that you have given your identity documents to the casino which is usually a drivers licence and a recent bill. This only needs to be done once. Second you go to the Cashier or Banking section and choose the amount you want to withdraw and the payment method you want to use. We recommend that you provide the documentation immediately after you open the account so you have no problems when it comes time to collect your winnings.
Should I be concerned with bonus terms and conditions?
Yes, you should absolutely be aware of the terms and conditions of both the casino in general and the bonuses in particular. We go over the T&Cs of all the casinos we review to ensure there are no unfair or predatory terms. If we find any, we will not recommend that casino. We will also highlight any terms that deviate from the normal T&Cs and always highlight the wagering requirements for any Welcome Bonuses.
What are wagering requirements?
Wagering requirements, sometimes called playthrough, is the amount of times you need to place a bet on a given amount of bonus in order to release any winnings so that you can cash them out. The amount is given as a factor (x) of the bonus amount or the bonus plus deposit (b+d) amount. A common high value bonus wagering requirement would be 50x. This means you would need to bet 50 times the bonus amount given. For example, if you were given a $100 free cash bonus at 50x wagering, you would need to place bets of at least $5000 in order to release your winnings. This sounds big but really it is not. If you are betting $5 per spin then you would have to press spin on a slot game 1000 times to achieve the requirement. Over that time you will lose or win a given amount but realize that the $100 is free so the casino needs to make sure you do not just signup and run away with free cash without playing.
Online Casino Statistics
Online casinos have developed rapidly over the last decade. Research has shown that the industry nearly tripled in size from $20.51 billion in 2009 to an expected $55.19 billion in 2019 worldwide. The growth from a mere handful of online casinos at the turn of the millennia to thousands available today have paralleled to greater adoption of internet, in particular broadband access and mobile. From 2000 to 2018, adult access to broadband has gone from 52% to 89% in the US and mobile adoption in Canada went from 25 million subscribers to over 31 million subscribers from 2010 to 2017.
This is a major shift but access alone does not explain the growing popularity of online casinos. The continued mainstreaming of poker and fantasy sports has led to an increase in gambling but also the popularization of social media and gambling apps has had a dramatic effect on creating a new generation of gamblers. A research article surveyed adolescents in Ontario, Newfoundland and Labrador, and Saskatchewan and determined that 41.6% of all adolescents had gambled in the previous three months. Most was on sports betting but a significant portion, 9.1%, had gambled on internet poker and 9.0% had played simulated gambling on Facebook. This is obviously a problem and responsible, legal gambling of only adults is the goal, but the trend is foretelling.
There is also evidence that millennials drastically favour online gambling. Half of all American millennials surveyed agreed that online gambling should be legalized there versus only 28% of the general population. They also had a much more depressing view of land based casinos and were the only age group, 18 to 34, that had that opinion, with 47% agreeing with it. Those under the age of 35 prefer to play slots on their mobile at home than visit a "dingy", old-school casino.
Land casinos have mostly been stuck in the 20th century catering to classic gamblers that have been accustomed to a particular environment. And newer generations are rejecting that style en masse. The growth in the quantity and quality of online casinos parallels this attitude and these statistics. Even the older online casinos have seen a recent need to refresh their look. The original casinos have all undergone modernization (see the logo changes as an example). Land casinos have been slower to transform due to costs and, mostly, to avoid alienating their current customer base. Gambling overall is a $400 billion dollar industry with an eighth of that attributed to online gaming. But the number is poised to grow rapidly with the expected ratio to become closer to 50:50 in the not too distant future. Just how many online casinos are out there. Well major review sites list over a thousand but there are far more out there. They are just not appropriately licensed and most of these are scams. We have dwindled down those vast numbers so that you can enjoy solid, reputable online casinos and participate in this great age of online casino gambling.
If you have any questions, feedback or you wish to report inaccurate information or broken links, please Contact Us here.